About this course
This course describes five diverse, evidence-supported group therapy models that are used to treat substance use disorders.
1. Describe the advantages of group treatment when treating substance abuse.
2. State at least two differences between process groups and self-help groups.
3. Name the five group therapy models described in the course and describe each model.
4. Describe how to assess for treatment readiness.
5. Evaluate the purposes, characteristics, techniques, and leadership styles of problem-solving groups that focus on problematic behavior.
6. Discuss ways to match clients with the appropriate type of treatment group.
7. Identify cultural considerations when matching clients with substance use treatment groups.
Author(s):U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Course Content :